Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fasting to Lean Up

I was perusing through my book marks this lovely Sunday morning and came across this article and thought I would share with you all.
Ready Set Fast: How Strategic Meal-Skipping Can Help you Lose Fat, Gain Muscle, and Get Healthier
When we were kids, mom was always looking out for our health. Chew your food, Eat your vegetables. And always eat breakfast because it is the most important meal of the day. Continue reading....


I was introduced to Intermittent Fasting (or IF) by Crystal Nelson when I did her Fuel 21 about eight months (read about results here) and saw some pretty good results. Since that time I had done some variations of it off and on but have not been as strict as I know I should be. I have also added raw milk to the mix and have seen some dramatic weight gains and strength gains as well. In the process of the weight gain I also got a little laxed on my diet and put a little fat on around what I call my trouble spots (my midsection and back). Since September when I added raw milk I had gained about fifteen pounds having tipped the scale to about 207 pounds. My pants hardly fit and I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. Something had to change!
So in December I put myself on notice and started to clean things up. Then in January I Am Crossfit was kicking off and I decided to take on the challenge along with my team. In one of my previous post about I Am, I put my body comp up and was not pleased. I was in at 21% body fat and WOW! not good. Since that time I have done the IF and just completed a week long cleans of eating nothing but veggies. Not easy for a meat eater like me! And I did a 24 hour fast this past Saturday, and I am considering doing the 24 hour fast once a week. In the time I started the IF it is starting to pay off! My pants are starting to feel a little loser and one of my athletes even told me I looked leaner! Talk about motivation!
One thing that I find ironic thou is my weight hasn't come down. I am still hovering around 200lbs. To be perfectly honest with you I don't really care. If I can get my body fat under 15%, and still weight 200lbs I will be a beast on the platform! My strength has gone up and my sleep has improved so I am not scared about losing and strength or energy. I plan on keeping this as my life style for the foreseeable future and will experiment with it. Can't wait to see were it all leads. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

No comments: