Sunday, November 20, 2011

Make That Change


Recently with the urging from my wife Ashley we made the switch from a microwave to a convection oven. Why you might ask? Well, she was always saying it wasn't good for you to eat the food that came out of them and if you heated things in plastic in them chemicals would leach into your food. She's a smart gal and I had also heard the same thing from my sister Amy. So being the romantic guy that I am, this past Wednesday for Ashley's birthday I went and got her a convection oven. Now, I have to admit I was reluctant to get rid of the microwave because of the convenience. I mean, waiting an extra few minutes to heat up my food was not acceptable.

Now after doing some research I'm glad I made the change. There are some scary things I have read about the use of a microwave and the affect it has on your food. Not to mention what it does to your body while standing by it when it is working. Microwaves were banned in Russia in the 1970's because of the things they found through research. Not surprising all the research done on them have happened in Europe and Russia. We Americans just can't afford the time it would take to do a little research and study the long term affects of "Nuking" our food. Just not convenient you know.
Here is just one statement from the reading I have done,
"Structural degradation leading to decreased food value was found to be 60 to 90 percent overall for all foods tested, with significant decreases in bioavailability of B complex vitamins, vitamins C and E, essential minerals, and lipotropics (substances that prevent abnormal accumulation of fat)."


The first article I read The Microwave is Killing You! By Stephanie Relfe B.Sc. states,
"Microwave cooking is one of the
most important causes of ill health. It is certainly one of the most ignored."
It is a lengthy article full of scientist talk but well worth the read.
Here is another one that is less full of science talk and geared more torwards the affects of "Nuking" and your food and nutrition.
Stop Using Your Microwave by Domestic Design
Both articles have plenty of sources so read to your hearts content.


Bottom line is this, for my family and our short term and long term health for ourselves and our son we decided to get rid of our microwave. We did it based on what we read were the affects on our food and our over all health. This is a choice you will have to make for yourself and or your family. Most of all I encourage you to go and do the research for yourself and consider what I have written or the articles I posted above. Happy Sunday!

No comments: